If I had a Boat

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

"So It Begins..."

"On the dawn of one spring morning, a cart rolled easily across the moss of the Whimswander Forest. The first rays of sunlight slipped through the fresh leaves of the wildwood, lending the forest the look of a chapel’s stained glass halls... "

****
 
You all know of my little mentions about the "main" story I've been working on which I named my blog after. I kept promising last year to share little snippets from it, but never did. This shouldn't be too terribly surprising to those of you who follow my blog. I'm horribly unfaithful.
(and though I haven't *officially* made any New Years Resolutions, I really am going to try and write more on my blog!)
But the reason I never shared any snippets was because I never got very far into To Find a Castle. I would write a few pages, then delete what I had just written, not keen at ALL on what I had just scribbled down. Really, the only things writing-wise that I completed last year was my Fan Fiction for Anne Elisabeth, and my FER submission. Good luck to all of you who participated in the contest, by the by!
 
But this is the new year, and I believe I've started off on the right foot. I'm figuring out my story. TFAC has been brewing in my imagination since I was about the age of twelve or thirteen. Back in those days, it was all about elves, and was called Greenton Castle. No...I really couldn't think of a better name for it. And when a story sits steeping in your imagination for so very long, such an impossible amount of IDEAS come spilling into your brain, you don't know how to sort them out! There are so many paths you can send your story down, but which is the best?
 
At last I hit upon what it was that has been stopping my story from flourishing.
 
I don't write epics--that's just something I don't do. It's not how I roll. The Moon Master's Ball was set in a quiet little village, and my FER story is set in a busy little town. I write about carts and manors and crackling fires.
 
Not epic battles. I leave epicness to the pros.
 
So I've set a simpler course for To Find a Castle. And it's coming along nicely, I think! Ufridias Billings (the confused frog) hasn't made his appearance yet, but I'll be certain to share a snippet of his first scene with you on the blog. He really is adorable!

I hope each of you are flourishing in your writing endeavors. I've been so excited to find out what sort of genius stories you're all writing for the new year!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


11 comments:

  1. I'm so excited!!! Few people write like this anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you've found your niche! Like Hannah said, few people try for those type of stories nowadays. Which is a shame. I /like/ books about cozy villages and carts. : )
    I'll be praying for To Find a Castle, and eagerly looking forward to any snippets you choose to share. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of dabble in a bunch of different stories, so sometimes I'll write a nice, cozy story and other times I'll write an adventure story. I really enjoy reading both as well, so I'm looking forward to hear about your progress on To Find a Castle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful that you have the talent to write in different styles! Adventurous and cozy stories are always worth reading/writing. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  4. I am totally intrigued, I will so be reading this when it is finished.
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jemma! :D Your comment made my day.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed the beginning of your story, Ms. Clara. Also thrilled that you write stories set in villages and towns. There are adventures to be had in villages that are just as exciting as big epic battles. I'm not great at epic battle writing myself, so I love exploring seemingly uneventful places where fantastic things can happen. Keep up the outstanding work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh it is so exciting when a story begins to work! I am so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete