If I had a Boat

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Titles, Titles...

Allison asked me if I'd write a post on how I chose The Moon Master's Ball as the title for my short story. And I'm so glad she did! But I'm afraid that there isn't much to tell...
 

 
The title came before the story did, because really, besides pumpkins and evil stepsisters and fairy godmothers, what is always present in the Cinderella story?
 
The moon.
 
Even if it's only in the background, it's always there, hiding behind clouds as our heroine climbs into her pumpkin coach. So as I sat thinking late one night, it simply made sense to add the moon into the title of  my short story...and then an idea struck me. What if there was a master of the moon! His name would be the Moon Master! *Cue epic music*
(Because WHO DOESN'T love it when there's a mysterious "master" of some kind in a story?!)
 
And then of course a ball must be present in a Cinderella story. Hence The Moon Master's Ball was born. I didn't necessarily form the title around the story, which is what I usually do, but the story was formed around the title.
 
And while on the subject of titles, (I'm getting tired of typing that word) I find that there's a pattern to them...they always have the same kind of rhythm, if that makes any sense. To Find a Castle, The Moon Master's Ball, The Delicate Matter of Murder (then my Five Enchanted Roses title which mustn't be revealed yet). See what I mean?
 
So tell me about your titles! How do you come up with them? And is there a pattern that you've found in each one? 


10 comments:

  1. Interesting! I never would have suspected the title came first! I'm actually right now doing the exact same thing. A few weeks ago an interesting title popped into my head, and I'm trying to fit a story to it. Usually though, I get story and then finding a title for it is like searching for a piece of hay in a needle-stack. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I know what you mean! It's so nice when the titles pop into your head like that, though! :)

      Delete
  2. Wait. What is this about the Delicate Matter of Murder? That one rolls SO nicely off the tongue! I need to hear about this story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the title was better than the story, I'm afraid! :) It was my submission for this year's Fan Fiction Contest for Goldstone Wood. I had a grand time writing it, though!

      Delete
  3. I just love the title of your Cinderella story! It sounds so mysterious and enchanting. :-D
    As for finding titles, I don't really have a special method except thinking, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Grace! And thinking can be helpful.... ;D

      Delete
  4. It is fun to see how titles come into being.

    I don't know if I have a method for mine. Usually they just pop up which is nice, because I am bad at having to think one up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this post, Ms. Clara. How the title came to you first and then the story was really interesting. I love alliteration when it comes to creating titles. If they have some sort of rhythm and a repetitive sound to them, titles always get my atention. One of my Five Glass Slippers entries was entitled Pamela Pumpkin. Like you, the title came to me first, and then I got to thinking about enchantments and about unrequited love. Next thing I knew, the story basically wrote itself. So thrilled you're entering Five Enchnated Roses, too! Still awating Five Glass Slippers to be brailled, (patience running dangerously thin), but that's another story.

    Anyway, this post was excellent and very helpful. Thank you. BTW: I disagree with one of your comments above. I thought The Delicate Matter of Murder was well-written and very good. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am awful at titles. Someone usually helps me pick. : ) It's a shame because I consider titles hugely important! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete