If I had a Boat

Monday, May 26, 2014

The Hollow Kingdom Review

Well, I think I already mentioned how much I enjoyed The Hollow Kingdom, but I want to get a little more specific about it. Let the review begin!
 
 
 
In nineteenth-century England, a powerful sorcerer and King of the Goblins chooses Kate, the elder of two orphan girls recently arrived at their ancestral home, Hallow Hill, to become his bride and queen...
 
*
 
The Hollow Kingdom is one of those books that you stumble upon by complete accident, and you feel as though your life has been changed for the better. It's a frightful story told in three parts, and each part has its own entrancing aura...
 
Starlight, part one, begins with an eerie warmth about it that made me want to be reading the book on a chilled fall evening with a cup of cider. Mystery, magic, and an underlying feeling that there was more to the story than you first may believe immediately pulled me in to the story. It was dark, but not too dark. In some ways the book had a very Jane Eyre- ish feel to it. 
 
Probably what I loved most about Claire B. Dunkle's writing was not the eeriness that I love so much, or the mystery, or even the light humor that often made me laugh out loud throughout the book. What I loved most were the characters she created. I have never read a book with so many diverse characters who didn't resemble any other character I had ever read about before! The hilarious big-sister little-sister relationship was spot on. Emily was adorable and hilarious. Marak, king of the goblins, was a character that truly kept me guessing throughout the book. What is he really thinking, anyway? And Kate, sensible, proud Englishwoman was a loveable, courageous heroine whom I came to love!

And did I mention the rather adorable cat, Seylin?
 
Lamplight, part two of the book, began continuing the same magic and excitement as the beginning of the book. I really enjoyed the classic goblin feel it gave which was most reminiscent of The Princess and the Goblin.
 
Part three, which I cannot remember and Google refuses to help me, plus I'm no where near the book to look, is the only part of the book I had a slight problem with. It was still wonderful, don't get me wrong, but it was rather...sudden. It almost seemed disjointed with the rest of the book. But, I ignored this and wound up loving the ending of the story. It was masterfully told, with the exception of the slight disjointment (which is strictly my opinion. You might not find it disjointed in the least.).
 
All in all, The Hollow Kingdom is a must read. Anyone who enjoys fantasy should love this book. Really, though, I recommend it to anyone who has a love for wittiness and excellent writings. I should probably re-read it and take notes in my journal...
 
Well, what do you think? Have I piqued your interest?  

12 comments:

  1. I love finding a book you did not know about and it becomes a gem! And, yes! You've piqued my interest. I liked The Princess and the Goblin, so a book that is like it sounds nice. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do think this is a book you'd like :)

      Delete
  2. I had this book recommended to me a couple years ago, but I never read it. Now I want to...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, since we have practically the same taste in books (what with Mistmantle Chronicles and Airborn and all) I think you'll like it as much as I do. :)

      Delete
  3. Yay! So glad you liked it. : ) I really enjoy this book, but something about it kind of pushes me back a step and keeps me from loving it. I think it is the circumstances under which Kate and Marak grow to know each other, and Kate's changing views about people. Still, it is entertaining as all get-out. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *SPOILERS*

      I totally understand what you mean, Allison. Around part three I was scratching my head and thinking, "Wait. So does she love him, or what...?" But yes, that's what I had to push to the back of my head and just go ahead and enjoy it. :) THANK YOU for telling me this would be a good read!

      Delete
  4. This sounds very intriguing! Curious as to how you came across the book...the cover art tends to make me think small or self publisher....?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just happened upon it while perusing Goodreads. It certainly wasn't the cover that caught my eye, I thought that was a bit pitiful, but the description really captured my attention. And when my friend Allison said it was worth a read, I decided to get it. :)

      I'm not entirely sure how small the publishing company is. Just checked the spine and it said "Henry Holt publishing". Never heard of it, but I do think Claire B. Dunkle is fairly popular, now. She's done some weird looking work, so I'm not sure I'll be reading all her books. :)

      Delete
    2. I see! Just curious, thanks for sharing. Sounds like it's worth buying :)

      Delete
  5. Oh, I got the same feeling for part three. But the book ended as it should, so I'll forgive the messy last few pages. ;) Have you read book two, "Close Kin", yet? Not to give any spoilers, but her elves are ... well, not what you'd expect of elves. *shivers*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the middle of "Close Kin"! So far I'm not liking it quite so much as the first one, but it's still a fun read. It almost seems as though she rushed when she was writing it...

      Those ELVES. Never want to run into one of them...

      Delete