If I had a Boat

Friday, April 18, 2014

On the Subject of Quotes

 
 
I don't know about you bunch, but one of my favorite pastimes is reading quotes of favorite authors. Funny quotes, sad quotes, quotes that make you think: they're all terribly entertaining! So I thought I'd share a few of my favorite comedic quotes with you today, and if you all like, I'll share some more thoughtful quotes on another post.
 
I hope your bacon burns.
~ Howl
from Diana Wynne Jone's Howl's Moving Castle
 
 If you haven't read the book, this probably didn't make much sense to you, but those who have read the classic are most likely laughing! I'm chuckling right now just thinking of the scene where this line is said. Ha ha!
 
"Honestly," she sighed. "I have no idea what kind of life we'll have together, with me always flying off in one direction and you in the other."
I smiled. "It's a good thing the world's round."
~Matt
from Kenneth Oppel's Starclimber
 
Do you enjoy witty dialogue, airships, pirates, and story lines that resemble Jules Verne's classic adventures? Then read the Airborn series. Truly, they'll have you laughing one minute and biting your nails the next. They're clean, funny, and incredibly clever. You won't regret picking this one up! Plus the romance is so sweet. And there's nothing like good romance in a book :)
 
See! See, she's gone and put her foot in her mouth again! Right in, heel and all.
~Princess Una
from Anne Elisabeth Stengl's Heartless
 
And you all know everything there is to know of this book. It's delightful, it's frightening, it's humorous and adventurous. Again, Anne Elisabeth drops little hilarious quotes like these all through her series. And if you haven't read Heartless, do so now! You won't regret reading this tale of redemption and grace.
 
Even now, Dickon was upstairs, writing sonnets to his new love, while back at Seadown House, Marianne was writing 'Ella' on scraps of paper and then burning them.  
~from Jessica Day George's Princess of Glass
 
Every one of Jessica Day George's books somehow manages to have a Jane Austen-ish feel to it. They're magical, funny, frightening, romantic tales that I absolutely adore! I always get quite a few laughs from her writing!
 
"Are you badly hurt?"
"Hideously," said the king, without sounding injured at all. "I am disemboweled. My insides may in an instant become my outsides as I stand here before you.”
  
~Eugenides
from Megan Whalen Turner's The King of Attolia
 
All right, if you haven't read this series, your life is very, very sad. When I first started this series, I didn't know what to think of it. But by the end of the first book, it became apparent to me that this series would be one that I would read and love over and over again! And you should read it too. :)
 
There are some, a few, of my favorite, comedic quotes!
 
Tell me: have you read any of these books? Which quote was your favorite?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


14 comments:

  1. Okay, all these quotes are pretty great. (Although I can't remember Howl's...apparently I have to read it again). But my favorite has to be Eugendies...he's just plain awesome. I love his quotes.

    "No 'Glory shall be your reward' for me. No for me, it is "Stop whining" and "Go to bed. Never call on the gods, Costis, if you don't really want them to answer."--King of Attolia.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, Eugenides is one of the best! He never fails to make me laugh. And I love that quote! I don't remember that one. This series must be re-read :)

      Delete
  2. Agh, I love the Thief series! And I really do need to read 'Howl's Moving Castle', don't I?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes, you do! You really do! I'm sure you would love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such great quotes! I just finished Howl's Moving Castle a few days ago and instantly fell in love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it fabulous? I don't know how Diana Wynne Jones came up with such an amazing story and character like Howl!

      Delete
  5. I love these quotes! Heartless has wonderful quotes of hilarity, and I love the one where Una muses that she was cursed by a fairy to have those red blotches!

    I definitely need to read Hal's Moving Castle, which I've heard lots about but never got around to reading. I love Diane Wynne Jones's Fire and Hemlock, so I need to read more of her books. Megan Whalan Turner is fantastic!

    God bless and happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, you would really love it, Meredith! I've heard a lot about Fire and Hemlock, so I should give that one a go. :)

      Happy Easter to you as well!

      Delete
  6. I adore the whole Queen's Thief series! But my favorite quote right now is from Jennifer Nielsen's "The Shadow Throne". (Although I'm not a fan of her later books, she never fails to make me giggle!) 'He waited for me to look at him, and I gave him the finest acknowledgement I could, which mostly consisted of me gathering spit in my mouth in case he happened to lean in closer.' Crude but effective, no? ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my word. That one quote alone has me wanting to read this series! I've never heard about it, but I will definitely look into it! Crude, but very effective! Ha ha!

      Delete
  7. Starclimber sounds like a really cool book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Emma, you would love Starclimber! It's full of great adventure :)

      Delete
  8. Heh-heh! Howl and Eugenides, gotta love 'em!

    Clara, if you don't mind ... I think I'm going to purloin this post idea. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are no two characters like them! (except for Eanrin. And Sherlock Holmes.)

      Go right ahead! I'm looking forward to reading your post :)

      Delete