If I had a Boat

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Hades and Persephone: Interview With Ghost Ryter

I am very excited today to be able to share with you a poem about one of my favorite myths, Hades and Persephone.

Who is the author of this poem, you ask?

You should all know her. She faithfully comments on many blogs, and she's also an incredible writer! Her name: Ghost Ryter.

And she has agreed to share a small bit of her poem with us all today. Plus I got to do an interview with her!

I have no talent when it comes to poetry. None. Whatsoever. So I'm greatly impressed when I come across someone who can actually write poetry! Here is a portion from the poem "Hades and Persephone" by Ghost Ryter.

*****
  

 

Hades stood, hard and tall,

There before her.

Eyes blue, hair black,

His skin pale from want

Of warm, constant,

Nourishing daylight.

Lord of the Underworld -

Ruler of the Night.

"Zeus, oh, please, Zeus ... Helios

Above …” her mind cried.

But they gave no answer.

Persephone tried

To speak to her captor,

But tears spilled down

Across her face,

Halting any sound.

"Do not cry, “ he said,

“Persephone,

Brilliant, bright Jewel.

Don’t cry, my beauty.”

"Cry?"  She gasped out.

"You say don't cry?

"You've kidnapped me!

Tell me, Hades, why?"

She stumbled back,

Falling to the hard ground.

Hades came closer

And slowly reached down.

He took bother her hands

In his, firmly pulled

Her up, then led her

Through the land he ruled.

"You shall see, Perse -

You shall see, dear.

And you shall be very happy -

I know you will - here."

And then she knew,

The truth pierced and struck

Like a rock through her

Heart; it lodged there, stuck.

So Perse was crowned

(While the dead gathered round)

With shinning, lifeless jewels.

And she was placed by his side,

As queen for his rule.


*****
 


Hi, Ghost Ryter! Thanks so much for joining us today and being willing to share your lovely poem. Since I’m a fan of the myth of Hades and Persephone, I’m so thrilled that you’ve kindly agreed to share your genius on my blog!

 Thank you, Clara!  It's my pleasure to be here on 'To Find a Castle'.  I’ve really been looking forward to this.  And I don't know if I'd call my poem 'genius' ... maybe absolutely brilliant.  : )

CD: When did you first hear the story of Hades and Persephone?

Wow ... I can't even remember when I first heard it!  My older sister used to tell me stories all the time - fairy tales, myths, ghost stories, things she made up herself - and Hades' kidnapping Persephone was one of them.  But it wasn't until I was twelve that I really noticed how incredible a story it was. 

CD: What is your favorite aspect of the story?

 I like how it’s a cautionary tale, though not in the way most people might think.  Hades loved Persephone (he wouldn’t have put up all the fuss about keeping her with him if he didn’t love her) even though he didn’t demonstrate that very well.  Yet they had a miserable life together because Persephone was never able to get past how she had been brought to the underworld by force.  So, no situation is so bad that how you react can’t improve it.  You can try and work with what you got, or you can turn it into your own personal hell.

 CD: Have you ever read any other retellings of the myth?

 For some reason, I’ve not seen many retellings of this story.  Just the Abandon” books, by Meg Cabot.  They’re a very loosely based version, slipped into modern times.  But I had to stop reading those because they got foul.  Sigh.

 CD: This is a bit off topic, but I know you love Phantom of the Opera (me too!). Do you think that Gaston Leroux could have been inspired by the story of Hades and Persephone?

 Oh, yes.  A moody man who lives underground falls in love with a beautiful young girl, and kidnaps her … I we can safely say Monsieur Leroux was a fan of the myth.  Erik and Hades are unhappy brethren.

CD: I seem to recall that you are learning the guitar. Will we be seeing this piece of work put to music? (Please say yes!)

 I have music playing in the back of my mind that fits really nicely with the poem, but I have a very hard time actually getting tunes down on paper.  Ugh.  It is quite frustrating.  Rest assured - if I ever get it out, I’ll post it on my blog.  (Though I must warn you: I sang a few snatches of it for my one sister, and she gave me a look of bored horror.)
 
 
*****

Bored horror? Oh dear. Well, I for one enjoyed this poem! Thanks again for joining me on my blog today.

Check out Ghost Ryter's blog at http://ghostryter.blogspot.com/



Happy writing, everyone!

7 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, I really enjoyed your poem, Ghost Ryter! :D Hades and Persephone is one of my favourite myths as well--a few retellings of it have been knocking around in my mind. I am now going to go and follow your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I just realized you don't have a "Follow" button on your blog, Ghost Ryter... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I'll get right on the "Follow" button problem....

      Delete
  3. So awesome to have an interview with you, Ghost Ryter! I love your poem!

    You know, I haven't read any retellings of this tale, but in book 2, The Queen of Attolia, of The Queen's Thief series, there is a myth told (it parallels the novel) that is obviously inspired by the myth of Hades and Persephone. Except it is a much, much more beautiful tale, because the girl actually chooses to go down there to love the man nobody loved because of his ugliness. So it was pretty much a version of Hades and Persephone turned into Beauty and the Beast.

    Just to avoid confusion, this is not what The Queen of Attolia is about. It only has that short story in it. But the novel does have a Beauty and the Beast theme if you look hard enough. It is just so different from anything you'd expect. I really recommend the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Hannah, The Queen of Attolia is one of my favorite books! I loved that myth you're talking about. Probably the best part of the book!

      Delete
    2. Okay, you've caught my interest. I will not be at peace until I've found and read that series.

      Delete
    3. Ooh! You would love them, I know it!

      Delete