If I had a Boat

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Is Tiger's Curse Worth Reading?

Hullo, all.

I changed my blog again.

Yes, yes, this will be the stationary look from now on. I'm finally happy with it, so don't expect any more changes for a while at least!

I know I'm a little late in posting, and I'm so sorry for that. I've been planning an interview with a fellow blogger who happens to have written a poem that I quite like...and I've convinced her to share a bit of it on my blog! But you'll have to wait to read that post at a later date. For now, why don't we talk about The Tiger's Curse series?

I don't do "popular" books. I've gotten a bit sick of them. They snooker you in with a good first read and then plummet to boringness and unoriginality in the rest of the series. And if one author manages to write a good, original story, a million other authors copy THAT author, and then they get popular too.

Divergent, anyone?

Well, it's hard to stay unaware of books that get popular, however disinterested in them I might be. And one day, as I was perusing Barnes&Noble, a "popular" book caught my eye....

It's name was Tiger's Curse. An intriguing title, and it had a very nice cover to go along with it. So I read the inside flap.


Passion. Fate. Loyalty.

Would you risk it all to change your destiny?

The last thing Kelsey Hayes thought she’d be doing this summer was trying to break a 300-year-old Indian curse. With a mysterious white tiger named Ren. Halfway around the world. But that’s exactly what happened. Face-to-face with dark forces, spellbinding magic, and mystical worlds where nothing is what it seems, Kelsey risks everything to piece together an ancient prophecy that could break the curse forever.

Tiger’s Curse is the exciting first volume in an epic fantasy-romance that will leave you breathless and yearning for more.


****

A few words popped out at me as I read the synopsis.

Indian.
Prince.
Curse.
Tiger.
Mystical worlds....

I knew I had to try it! After finding it at my library, I proceeded to read it...and loved it!

And was in agony when it was over.

Once again it was the first in a series, and I had snatched up the first book as soon as it was released! I was in for a very long wait to read the rest of the series.

But back to the original question: is Tiger's Curse worth reading?

To me, it absolutely was. Now, if you're wanting to read a classic, then Tiger's is not for you. While I was very much entertained by its fun adventure story and romance, descriptiveness of foods, atmospheres, and cultures, it was still merely a fun adventure read. Not something that will be remembered throughout the ages, but definitely a tale that will entertain you! I must say that throughout all four books I got quite attached to the characters and their feelings.

Something that Colleen Houck did very well was not stopping the suspense across every chapter of each installment of the Tiger's Curse series.

But to find out any more about Colleen Houck's massively creative and enjoyable books, you must check it out for yourselves!

Have any of you read or thought about reading this? What were your thoughts on the book? I'd love to hear! 





8 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm going to search the library for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! And let me know what you think of it! All I have to say is that you are incredibly LUCKY for being able to read all four whenever you wish. I had to wait MONTHS between books! :D

      Delete
  2. The cover looks familiar, but I haven't read this book. Covers with animals don't usually pull me to look and see what they're about(unless its something like a dragon or a unicorn), but this one looks interesting now that I've read about it. Thanks for the recommendation- I will have to see about reading it if I get the chance.

    P.S. I like the new look. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll get the chance to read it sometime! And just so you know, the third book does have a dragon on the front of it.... :)

      Glad you like the new look!

      Delete
  3. Hmmm, I might have to look more into these. How's the level of romance? I don't like anything beyond kissing and I prefer the kissing not to be very descriptive.

    So happy you found a series you enjoyed so much! I'd started a series that I was loving, but hit an awkward, fairly inappropriate scene that made me put it down. Sigh...

    A crisp, pretty new look to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing inappropriate ever happens, but the kissing was a bit descriptive from what my Mom said. She loved the series, so she read the books first and would put sticky notes over small "kissy" portions! She said that the scenes weren't bad, but its best to be careful.

      So get your Mom to proof-read it as well! I'm confident you would enjoy it. Just keep in mind it's a bit chic-flickish :D

      Delete
  4. Alas, it was the chic-flickishness that killed me. I read the first book, and my brain felt numb at the end. : ( I'm glad you like it, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I just liked the fun adventure feel :)

      Delete