If I had a Boat

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Inspiration

Lots has happened in this last week! I found out that I'm going to be a published author, I was snowed in (ok, not really, but it did snow and there was lots of ice on the ground), and as a result of that ice my family and I all got off work and were able to spend two whole days together!  And I think that if four years ago I hadn't gone in my library, picked up a book called Heartless, loved it and gone to the author's blog I would still be typing away at one of my many story ideas...and I would never have met any of you!

It's been so much fun getting to know each of my blogging friends...when my sister Laura was over for Christmas, I was typing away at an e-mail to Hannah, and she leaned over my shoulder muttering, "You have a whole other life, don't you?"

Um...yes, I do.

Not an "other life" like Batman (although I have had an evil urge to tape a little bat symbol over the police station's spotlight on several occasions), but a life that has opened a world of good, Christian writers who are all so much fun to talk to.

Now I want to ask each of you: where do you get your inspiration?

Naturally the Lord is responsible for planting the seeds of ideas in our mind, but do you get it from the people around you, a book you just read, or a random something a friend said to you? I work in a retirement community as a receptionist, so I must say that I get quite a bit of inspiration from there. Many different people introduce themselves to me, and I think, "You could be a book character." So long as I keep my eyes open and pay attention to the small things (like the sweet little boy who hangs out at my work until his mom comes and picks him up from his school) it's easy to find all sorts of inspiration. What a nice, normal character he would make!

There's also the very old, very tiny and hairy dog who is mostly blind and nearly deaf that hobbles outside every morning (but not without stopping to get a nice rub behind the ears from me). He was most put out the other night that his owner and I had the nerve to stop and talk before giving him a treat, so he marched stiffly up to us, reared up on his hind legs, and barked. The force of that bark propelled him backwards, and his eyes widened as he toppled over. I'm laughing right now thinking about it!

So that's where I get some of my inspiration. But what about you? I'd love to hear when ideas randomly pop into your minds!








10 comments:

  1. I am SOOOOOO thrilled that you placed in the Glass Slippers contest. Before the results were up, I was like, "Well, I hope I know SOMEBODY." Then...."Clara! Clara Darling won!!!" That's so exciting.

    Similar story here. If I hadn't picked up Heartless at the library, I wouldn't be here either, and my story, Moonscript, would be nowhere as awesome as it is now and probably wouldn't be done. The interaction and feedback I've received from the ladies in this blogging community has been simply wonderful!

    God grants inspiration to me in methods very much like yours. Surroundings, events, people, other stories.

    One recent inspiration that was particularly amusing went like this: My brother and Dad were watching Captain Phillips and I dropped in for the scene with the Navy Seals. About the time, the Navy Seals were suiting up for action, it suddenly hit me, "I NEED NAVY SEAL ELVES!" Okay, so not quite Navy Seal elves. But I was inspired for a brand -new, very dangerous, very intimidating elf character who found his place in the prequel to Moonscript. Which launched a brand-new story thread, which is very awesome. :)

    Yesterday, I came up with the climax for one of my other novels while I was supposed to be studying Government and Biology. *suffering*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks soooo much Hannah!

      Navy Seal Elves. What a great idea! I certainly can't wait to someday meet this intimidating prequel character:) It's amazing how one idea leads to another in a matter of seconds!

      I'm so glad that my school days are over. I feel for you:)

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the winning entry, Clara! <3 I can't wait to read your story!

    As for my inspiration, I get it from everywhere as well--friends are an awesome source. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I really hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. Hi! I saw that you followed my blog, and I wanted to say thank you- its such a joy to me see the follower count move a little higher.

    As for writing inspiration, I find it in various things. From movies, books I've read, and even a picture on Pinterest. I've had writing inspiration strike me alone in a room where I was working, to outside where I was filling my dog's water bowl, lol. Wherever I find it, when that inspiration comes, its almost like finding an unexpected treasure. Its an awesome feeling.

    Congrats on winning the contest- I look forward to (hopefully) reading it and the others one day. :-D

    - Grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, thank YOU for the follow on this blog! It certainly is lots of fun to get more followers:)

    You're absolutely right about inspiration being like an unexpected treasure. It's so much fun to suddenly get an idea that will make your story so much better.

    And thank you! If you ever do get a chance to read it, I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, congrats on becoming a published author! That's huge! I'm traveling the same road right now and realizing that I do not have a lot of writing compadres, and so thought I'd get on some blogs and connect.

    I spend a lot of time writing at various coffee houses and there's usually a plethora of people--and easily overheard tidbits of conversation--that can provide fodder for my stories. And often a weird element in a dream will end up being an interesting twist in something I'm writing.

    My favorite verse that reminds me that it's okay to create worlds of my own is Proverbs 8:12 (It only translates like this in the KJV) "I wisdom dwell with prudence, and find out knowledge of witty inventions." I love that the Lord shares His creative wit with us!

    heatherllfitzgerald.wix.com/author

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much, Heather! It's only for a short story, but that's still a big deal to me! If you don't mind my asking, what sort of books do you write? And I'm so glad that you've touched base with me. I can tell you that it really makes life fun to have blogging/writer friends!

    Congrats to you for being able to focus in a coffee house...I love coffee, but there would be far too much distraction for me in one! That's funny, dreams will often provide major plot points for me as well.

    Proverbs 8:12 is a GREAT verse! I've always loved it:) Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope we meet again on some other blogs.

    Ok, I'm going to check out your website....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I'm so lame, (read: have been too busy writing and doing life to figure out the nuances of blogging well), I just figured out how the RSS feed works. So, I hadn't seen your reply until I poked around just now.

    And hey...short stories count!!! In fact, I admire anyone that can tell a story with brevity...that's not something I'm any good at, except on the level of a children's book. Definitely can't write for an adult audience like that.

    I'm guessing since you visited my site, you gathered I write fantasy :) Thanks for stopping by and I look forward to reading more from you and connecting in the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete